Dremel® Pumpkin Carving Kit Fact Sheet
The Dremel® Pumpkin Carving Kit helps carvers take creative pumpkin carving to a new level:
- The kit's 6-Volt Dremel Alkaline Cordless rotary tool has two speeds, 7,000 and 14,000 rotations per minute, and is powered by four AA alkaline batteries (not included).
- The No. 191 High-Speed Cutter accessory has rounded edges and is ideal for carving fine details.
- The Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit includes 10 artistic jack-o-lantern templates that range in levels of difficulty: two ghosts, a witch, a haunted house, a scary cat, two snaggletooth faces, a vampire, a skeleton and a "Happy Halloween" tagline. Additional templates can be downloaded from the carving templates page on www.dremel.com.
- Dremel offers a two-year warranty on the Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit.
- The kit's carving tool – the 6-Volt Dremel Alkaline Cordless – is not intended to cut through the pumpkin but rather should be used on the surface of a pumpkin after it has been cut open and cleaned out. Any activity that involves the use of a sharp object, including the Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit, requires adult supervision.
- The Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit is available throughout the Halloween season online at www.amazon.com and at select hardware and home improvement centers nationwide for a suggested retail price of $29.99.
For a specific retailer in your area or information on Dremel products, project ideas and advice, please visit us at www.dremel.com or call the Dremel Experts at 1-800-437-3635.Visit www.dremelepk.com to find tool facts on the Dremel Glue Gun and Dremel Driver.
Dremel Frequently Asked Questions About the Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit
1. Does the Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit cut through my pumpkin?
No, the Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit is not intended to cut through the pumpkin. The Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit is used to etch designs into the pumpkin's surface by removing layers of the skin so that when a light is placed inside, it illuminates the design and produces a glowing effect. A sharp knife will be needed to cut the top of the pumpkin and seeds should be removed.
Note: Any activity that involves the use of sharp objects, including the Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit, requires adult supervision.
2. Does Dremel offer other fun templates?
Dremel offers 10 spooky templates that are included with the Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit. Please visit the carving templates page on the Dremel Web site to download additional templates.
3. How can I turn my favorite image into a pumpkin-carving template?
It's easy and fun! Just find your favorite image and print a copy in black and white. This print out will serve as your template. Then attach it to the pumpkin and carve the solid areas to create your personal design. For more advanced images, such as a picture of someone, use image editing software to convert a picture into a negative and simply carve out the black areas.
4. How long is this tool available in stores?
The Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit is available through Halloween, but quantities are limited, so make sure to buy yours early!
5. Can I interchange other Dremel accessories or attachments into my Dremel pumpkin carving tool?
Dremel suggests using other high-speed cutters, which are also ideal for pumpkin carving. Visit www.dremel.com throughout the year for more tips on how to use Dremel tools. With more than 150 accessories and attachments, Dremel rotary tools are ideal for all types of projects.
6. How can I make my template stick to the pumpkin?
First, make sure the surface of the pumpkin has been cleaned with a damp rag and thoroughly dried. Before attaching the template, it is helpful to cut relief slits into it. To create these slits, simply cut from the edge of the template towards the drawing, being sure to stop the slit before touching the artwork. This will allow the template to conform to the curved surface of the pumpkin. Then, use spray adhesive on the back of the template and position it in the desired location on the pumpkin. The template should then stay in place while you carve your favorite Halloween designs.
7. Can I use the Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit on artificial pumpkins?
The Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit is a versatile tool that can be used on real or fake pumpkins. Using the Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit to create designs on artificial pumpkins ensures the longevity of your Halloween decorations for years to come!
Note: Do not put candles in artificial pumpkins, as it creates a fire hazard.
8. My jack-o-lantern doesn't illuminate very well, or is dimly lit in certain areas. How can I fix this?
Use a large spoon or ice cream scoop to remove more pulp from the inside of your pumpkin. Instead of carving deeper from the outside of your pumpkin, simply use a spoon to remove additional material inside the pumpkin to achieve your desired illumination.
9. Can I use the Dremel pumpkin carving tool to carve other Halloween items such as gourds, squash or miniature pumpkins?
The Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit is an ideal tool to etch designs into a variety of Halloween decorations. Besides carving pumpkins, the tool can be used to decorate gourds with autumn designs, silly faces or favorite phrases.
10. What is the best way to follow my template, once I begin carving?
In the excitement of the carving process, the template can sometimes be difficult to detect. If this happens, simply have Q-tips® on hand to clean out the already carved areas. Additionally, make a photocopy of the template and keep it next to your pumpkin as a reference of where you need to carve. Regularly cleaning the excess pumpkin skin off the carving surface and having a copy of the template beside you makes it easier to stay focused on the fun Halloween design being carved into the pumpkin.
11. Are there any techniques to best follow the template throughout the entire carving process?
Dremel recommends making a photocopy of the template and keeping it next to the pumpkin to use as a reference. When carving, it is best to complete small areas of the template at a time. It is easiest to trace the outline of the template first, and then remove the large areas inside the lines you just traced.
12. How do I remove the template when finished carving?
The spray adhesive is not permanent and you can simply peel the template away. There may be small traces of paper or glue left on the pumpkin that can be easily removed by wiping its surface with a wet rag.
13. What is the best way to preserve the jack-o-lantern once it is carved?
One of the best ways to extend the life of your jack-o-lantern is to place a thin coat of Vaseline® on the carved areas. This will slow browning and drying of the carved areas. Once applied, just remove the excess Vaseline with a clean rag or paper towel.
14. What is the best speed to use this tool?
The low speed is ideal for more control over small and intricate designs and is more manageable for beginners. As you become more experienced with the tool, you can use the high speed for faster carving.
15. Where can I buy a Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit?
The Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit is available online at www.amazon.com and at select hardware stores and home improvement centers nationwide. For a specific retailer in your area, or to directly order a Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit, please call the Dremel Experts at 1-800-437-3635.
16. How much does the Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit retail for?
The Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit has a suggested retail price of $29.99.
# # #